Friday, January 12, 2007

Artichokes At Risk!

One of my favorite sights is to be in QFC or Fred Meyer and see Artichokes 10 for $10! I get my Mike to put one on a 5:30 PM in a pan of boiling water with some special herbs and olive oil. About 7:30, I am ready for a "prickly" feast. That's what Mike calls them, as in, "Do you want me to fix you a "prickly" for dinner?"


I read today that the cold arctic air that passed through Portland is now as far south as the Artichoke fields in Castroville, California and the farmers are working hard to save the crop from the cold.
...beefed-up field crews raced Thursday to behead the prickly buds before Mother Nature leaves them rotten to the core.

The stakes are high. At Ocean Mist Farms, a grower whose name is synonymous with this 'choke-crazy town of 7,000, they're bracing for more than just a frigid weekend.

``We expect to lose as much as $1.5 million if we freeze,'' said vice president Dale Huss, who's bracing for temperatures in the low-to-mid 20s today and possibly through Sunday.
Bev & Mike
Landfair Furniture + Design Gallery

No comments: